AMES, Iowa — Entries from six Greenlee School students were named first-place winners by the Society of Professional Journalists at the 2016 Region 7 Mark of Excellence Awards.
Eleven other Iowa State University entries were named finalists in their respective categories, including the Iowa State Daily’s The Iowa State Way magazine for Best Student Magazine and ISDHoops.com for Best Affiliated Website.
The winners of the regional, which comprises Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska, will compete at the national level among other regional MOE winners from the 12 SPJ regions. They will learn if they are national winners in late spring. National winners will be recognized in September at the Excellence in Journalism conference in Anaheim, California.
Honorees received award certificates the weekend of May 5 at the Region 7 Conference.
According to a release from the Society of Professional Journalists, MOE Awards entries are judged by professionals with at least three years of journalism experience who are tasked with identifying the best in the student journalism.
The contest rules state judging is based on overall excellence, including adherence to high journalistic standards and the SPJ Code of Ethics. If no entry rose to the level of excellence, no award was given.
The Iowa State University honorees are listed below. For a complete list of those recognized, see the release from SPJ.
General News Photography (Large)
- Finalist: Tim Kaine visits Iowa State – by Emily Blobaum, Iowa State University
Best Student Magazine
- Finalist: The Iowa State Way – by Iowa State Daily Staff, Iowa State University
Breaking News Reporting (Large)
- Winner: Students hold "Not My President" protest, march to President Leath’s office – by Nik Heftman, Iowa State University
- Winner: Emily Barske Editorials – by Emily Barske, Iowa State University
- Finalist: Michael Heckle Editorial Writing – by Michael Heckle, Iowa State University
Feature Writing (Large)
- Finalist: Hochstein helps lead change for LGBTQA+ community – by Nik Heftman, Iowa State University
- Finalist: Here’s the Iowa company behind the Cedar Rapids fireworks show – by Emily Barske, Iowa State University
General Column Writing (Large)
- Winner: Michael Heckle’s Columns – by Michael Heckle, Iowa State University
General News Reporting (Large)
- Finalist: Wearing the letters: Students try to break down greek stereotypes – by Sarah Muller, Iowa State University
Sports Writing (Large)
- Winner: Andrea Toppin battles back from a runner’s nightmare – by Kyle Heim, Iowa State University
- Finalist: Hips don’t lie – by Ryan Young, Iowa State University
- Finalist: Stuuu – by Ryan Young, Iowa State University
ONLINE Best Affiliated Website
- Finalist: ISDHoops.com – by ISD Staff, Iowa State University
Television Feature Reporting
- Finalist: ISU Parking Division – by Aaron O’Neill, Iowa State University
Television General News Reporting
- Winner: Prayer Area in Parks Library – by Andreas Haffar, Aaron O’ Neill, Iowa State University
- Finalist: To All Who Have Served, We Salute You – by Josh Lamberty, Iowa State University