The Jump-Start Internship & Networking Fair helps students majoring in advertising, journalism and mass communication, public relations and related fields to build their personal network of local and regional employers and learn about internship and job opportunities.
Hosted by the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication, this boutique-style fair takes place each fall and spring and connects relevant employers with students who are preparing for careers in communication and mass media. There is no booth fee for employers. Students do not need to register in advance.
Where and When
The Jump-Start Internship & Networking Fair will take place from noon to 4 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Iowa State University Memorial Union on the following dates:
- Fall 2019: Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2019
- Spring 2020: Thursday, March 5, 2020
- Fall 2020: Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020
- Spring 2021: Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2021
- Fall 2021: Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2021
Employer Info and Registration
- Registration will open on Iowa State's CyHire System approximately two months prior to each Jump-Start Internship & Networking Fair (see dates listed above). Registration will close approximately two weeks prior to each fair. See registration instructions below.
- There's no booth fee to participate (we do ask for a firm commitment to attend if you choose to register).
- The fair provides time for quality interactions with over 200 students majoring in advertising, journalism and mass communication, public relations and other related fields.
- Mid-afternoon snacks are provided for employers.
- Approximately 55 employer booths are available (standard 6-foot tables, with optional table cloths) at each fair.
- Important note: If you plan on bringing a large display, there is an option to select two booth spaces when you register. Please only make this selection if you are sure you need it. We need to ensure displays do not block fire exits.
- Questions? Call Juli Probasco-Sowers, Greenlee's internship coordinator, at (515) 294-9957 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
New employer attendees:
- Register for a new account through Iowa State's CyHire system.
- Once account registration is approved, which may take up to an hour, you will receive a confirmation email. (If you do not receive a confirmation email, please call the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Career Services at 515-294-8691.)
- After you receive your confirmation email, log in to CyHire again to register for the Jump-Start Internship & Networking Fair under the “Attend Events” tab on your CyHire homepage.
- Remember your account username and password. You can use the same profile to register for future job fairs at Iowa State University.
Returning employer attendees:
Simply login to CyHire and register for the Jump-Start Internship & Networking Fair under the "Attend Events" tab on your CyHire homepage.
Jump-Start Workshops for Students
The Jump-Start program also includes workshops prior to each semester's fair to help students prepare. Previous workshops have covered:
- Resumes and cover letters
- Building your portfolio
- Internship etiquette
- How to interact with employers
Employers: If you're interested in being a guest speaker or panelist at an upcoming student workshop about any of the above topics, please contact Juli Probasco-Sowers.