Jump-Start Internship & Networking Fair
The Jump-Start Internship & Networking Fair helps students majoring in advertising, journalism and mass communication, public relations and related fields to build their personal network of local and regional employers and learn about internship and job opportunities.
Hosted by the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication in collaboration with LAS Career Services, this boutique-style fair takes place each fall and spring and connects relevant employers with students who are preparing for careers in advertising, journalism, public relations and related fields.
Due to the current public health situation related to COVID-19, the Jump-Start fairs will be conducted virtually during the 2020-2021 academic year in compliance with ISU Career Services‘ COVID-19 recruiting policy.
If you have questions about the Jump-Start Internship & Networking Fair, please contact Juli Probasco-Sowers, Greenlee’s internship coordinator, at email@example.com.
Where and When
- Spring 2021: Pre-scheduled virtual opportunities will be available on March 10 and 11 between 10 a.m and 4 p.m. Employer registration opens Jan. 27 in CyHire. More details are available here.
- Fall 2021: More info coming soon.
Employer Info and Registration
To register as a participating employer, please follow these steps:
New employer attendees
- Register for a new account through Iowa State’s CyHire system.
- Once account registration is approved, which may take up to an hour, you will receive a confirmation email. (If you do not receive a confirmation email, please call the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Career Services at 515-294-8691.)
- After you receive your confirmation email, log in to CyHire again to register for the Jump-Start Internship & Networking Fair under the ‘Attend Events’ tab on your CyHire homepage.
- Remember your account username and password. You can use the same profile to register for future job fairs at Iowa State University.
Returning employer attendees:
Simply login to CyHire and register for the Jump-Start Internship & Networking Fair under the ‘Career Fair’ section on your CyHire homepage.
- Organizations will be able to select the time frames they are available to participate in the virtual fair on the registration form.
- Virtual interview schedules will be created for registered employers. Students will then have the opportunity to sign up for a pre-scheduled time to talk to employers.
- Employers will provide their own virtual meeting link to conduct one-on-one video calls with scheduled students.
- Before and during the fair, organizations will have easy access to the resumes of the candidates that expressed interest in their position(s).
- Questions? Call Juli Probasco-Sowers, Greenlee’s internship coordinator, at (515) 294-9957 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jump-Start Workshops for Students
The Jump-Start program also includes workshops prior to each semester’s fair to help students prepare. Previous workshops have covered:
- Resumes and cover letters
- Building your portfolio
- Internship etiquette
- How to interact with employers
Employers: If you’re interested in being a guest speaker or panelist at an upcoming student workshop about any of the above topics, please contact Juli Probasco-Sowers.