Jump-Start Internship & Networking Fair
The Jump-Start Internship & Networking Fair helps students majoring in advertising, journalism and mass communication, public relations and related fields to build their personal network of local and regional employers and learn about internship and job opportunities.
Hosted by the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication in collaboration with LAS Career Services, this boutique-style fair takes place each fall and spring and connects relevant employers with students who are preparing for careers in advertising, journalism, public relations and related fields.
For more information about recruiting on campus, visit the ISU Career Services website.
If you have questions about the Jump-Start Internship & Networking Fair, please contact Juli Probasco-Sowers, Greenlee’s internship coordinator, at email@example.com.
Where and When
- Fall 2021: Wednesday, Sept. 29, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., virtual fair (no appointments required).
- Spring 2022: TBD
Employer Info and Registration
To register as a participating employer, please follow these steps:
New employer attendees
- Register for a new account through Iowa State’s CyHire system.
- Once account registration is approved, which may take up to an hour, you will receive a confirmation email. (If you do not receive a confirmation email, please call the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Career Services at 515-294-8691.)
- After you receive your confirmation email, log in to CyHire again to register for the Jump-Start Internship & Networking Fair under the ‘Attend Events’ tab on your CyHire homepage after employer registration opens.
- Remember your account username and password. You can use the same profile to register for future job fairs at Iowa State University.
Returning employer attendees:
After registration opens, simply login to CyHire and register for the Jump-Start Internship & Networking Fair under the ‘Career Fair’ section on your CyHire homepage.
Virtual Format – Student How-To:
No appointment is required to meet with employers. Follow these steps to drop-in and speak with a representative, or watch this video:
- Log into your CyHire account. Use your netID and password to log in.
- On the ‘Home’ page of CyHire, you will see ‘Events.’ Scroll until you find the Jump-Start Internship and Networking Fair.
- Click ‘Attend’ to share your resume with employers.
- On the event page, go to ‘Employers’ to see a complete list of employers and information about them.
- When you find an employer you’d like to speak with, click ‘Join Queue’ to video chat with a representative. You can join multiple queues as you wait for representatives to become available.
- See your wait time in the ‘Upcoming Video Chats’ sidebar on the righthand side. This is where you’ll see what queues you’re waiting in and when a representative is ready.
- Once a representative is ready, click the blue speech bubbles in the ‘Upcoming Video Chats’ to be redirected to a page with video chat instructions.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you are unable to speak to an employer, please still submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the employer name in the subject line so we can send your resume on to the employer.
Questions? Call Juli Probasco-Sowers, Greenlee’s internship coordinator, at (515) 294-9957 or email email@example.com.
Jump-Start Workshops for Students
The Jump-Start program also includes workshops prior to each semester’s fair to help students prepare. Previous workshops have covered:
- Resumes and cover letters
- Building your portfolio
- Internship etiquette
- How to interact with employers
Employers: If you’re interested in being a guest speaker or panelist at an upcoming student workshop about any of the above topics, please contact Juli Probasco-Sowers.