The Greenlee School will host the Fall 2019 Jump-Start Internship and Networking Fair from noon-4 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2019, in the Memorial Union Great Hall.
This boutique-style fair offers Iowa State University students the opportunity to connect with dozens of employers offering internships and jobs in journalism, advertising, public relations and other related fields.
Students who are new to the fair can participate in a Jump-Start introductory tour, which allows them to visit with several employers in a group setting rather than alone. Sign up to join a tour in 101 Hamilton Hall.
The Greenlee School requires a 400-hour professional capstone internship of all its majors, and it remains committed to providing resources to help students in this endeavor.
The fair is one of the best ways for students to learn about opportunities available locally and regionally, many of which meet the school’s internship requirement, said Juli Probasco-Sowers, the Greenlee School’s internship coordinator.
“The Jump-Start Fair is another tool in the internship toolbox, and it’s one that students should take advantage of by attending,” said Probasco-Sowers. “Whether you’re a freshman or sophomore who is just testing the internship waters, a junior or senior who’s ready to complete your required internship for credit or a go-getter who is looking for a second or third internship, you’ll find this fair is worth your time.”
Students: How to Prepare
Before the Fair
1. Attend the LAS Career Services Workshops.
- Resume Readiness and Career Fair Prep Workshop, Tuesday, Sept. 17, 4:10-5 p.m., 2300 Marston
- Resume Readiness and Career Fair Prep Workshop, Thursday, Sept. 19, 3:10-4 p.m., 2157 Pearson Hall
- Internships 101: From Searching to Success, Monday, Sept. 30, 4:10-5 p.m., 172 Hamilton Hall
- Interviewing: From Prep to Performance, Wednesday, Oct. 2, 4:10-5 p.m., 172 Hamilton Hall
2. Update your resume and bring enough copies.
- Connect with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Career Services for individual help writing your resume.
- Print 10-15 copies and carry them with you in a padfolio or folder.
3. Do your research.
- Visit CyHire for the most updated list of employers that will be in attendance.
- View or print a spreadsheet listing the employers that will be in attendance.
- Highlight the companies you would like to connect with, and conduct further research on each organization.
- View a map of the fair to locate the employers you'd like to visit. We'll share it here the week of the fair.
4. Dress for success.
- Plan what you're going to wear ahead of time.
- Dress in business casual attire. (Dress slacks/pants, dress shirt or blouse, blazer or cardigan)
- Arrive well-groomed, and avoid any distracting accessories and/or makeup.
5. Practice, practice, practice.
- Practice your elevator speech before the fair. Your speech should include your name, major, year in school and the positions you are seeking.
- Prepare to ask the employer follow-up questions, such as:
- What do you look for in an intern?
- How can I apply for this position?
- Can the intern use the position for academic credit?
During the Fair
1. Make a game plan.
- Allocate enough time to visit with each company or organization you are interested in.
- Use your time wisely by viewing the map of Fall 2018 Jump-Start Internship and Networking Fair, which will be available on the Greenlee website a couple days before the fair.
2. Remain confident and enthusiastic.
- Smile and be confident when you speak with employers.
- Don’t be afraid to speak about your experience and how you are qualified for a position.
After the Fair
1. Follow up with the employers you visit at the fair.
- Send a thank-you note and express your interest in working for them.
2. Begin the application process.
- Start applying for the position online or send your application materials to the employee you connected with.
3. Make use of other fair preparation resources:
- Greenlee School’s Internships overview page
- Greenlee School’s Finding an Internship page
- LAS Career Services
Employers: How to Register
By attending this free event, employers have the opportunity to get the word out about their company/organization, network with dozens of talented students and walk away with handfuls of resumes from promising candidates.
Employer registration is now open through 5 p.m. on Sept. 20, 2019. Late registrations will be considered on a individual basis. For more information, contact Juli Probasco-Sowers, Greenlee School internship coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-294-4342.