The Greenlee School will host the Spring 2020 Jump-Start Internship and Networking Fair from noon to 4 p.m. on Thursday, March 5, 2020, in the Memorial Union Great Hall.
This boutique-style fair offers Iowa State University students the opportunity to connect with dozens of employers offering internships and jobs in journalism, advertising, public relations and other related fields.
The Greenlee School requires a 400-hour professional capstone internship of all its majors, and it remains committed to providing resources to help students in this endeavor.
The fair is one of the best ways for students to learn about opportunities available locally and regionally, many of which meet the school’s internship requirement, said Juli Probasco-Sowers, the Greenlee School’s internship coordinator.
“The Jump-Start Fair is another tool in the internship toolbox, and it’s one that students should take advantage of by attending,” said Probasco-Sowers. “Whether you’re a freshman or sophomore who is just testing the internship waters, a junior or senior who’s ready to complete your required internship for credit or a go-getter who is looking for a second or third internship, you’ll find this fair is worth your time.”
This semester, students who attend the fair can sign up for a drawing for three sets of concert tickets courtesy of First Fleet Concerts.
Students: How to Prepare
Before the Fair
1. Attend the LAS Career Services workshops and career prep events.
2. Update your resume and make copies.
- Connect with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Career Services for individual help writing your resume.
- Print 10-15 copies and carry them with you in a padfolio or folder.
3. Visit CyHire for the most updated list of employers that will be in attendance.
- Make note of t the companies with whom you would like to connect, and conduct further research on each organization.
- View an employer map of the fair to locate the employers you’d like to visit.
4. Dress for success.
- Plan what you’re going to wear ahead of time.
- Dress in business or business casual attire (dress slacks/pants, dress shirt or blouse, blazer or cardigan).
- Arrive well-groomed, and avoid any distracting accessories.
5. Practice, practice, practice.
- Practice your talking points and come up with a list of questions before the fair. Your elevator speech should include your name, major, year in school and the positions you are seeking.
- Prepare to ask the employer follow-up questions, such as:
- What do you look for in an intern?
- How can I apply for this position?
- Can the intern use the position for academic credit?
6. Sign up for a guided tour.
New to the fair? Get the lay of the land by participating in a guided tour with Greenlee’s internship coordinator Juli Probasco-Sowers. Sign up to join a tour in 101 Hamilton Hall.
During the Fair
1. Bring your student ID.
You don’t need to register in advance, but you will be asked to swipe your student ID when you arrive.
2. Make a game plan.
- Allocate enough time to visit with each company or organization in which you are interested.
- Use your time wisely by viewing the employer map.
3. Remain confident and enthusiastic.
- Smile and be confident when you speak with employers.
- Don’t be afraid to speak about your experience and how you are qualified for a position
After the Fair
1. Follow up with the employers you visit at the fair.
Send a thank-you note and express your interest in working for them.
2. Begin the application process.
Start applying for the position online or send your application materials to the employee you connected with.
3. Make use of other career and internship prep resources:
- Greenlee School’s Internships overview page
- Greenlee School’s Finding an Internship page
- LAS Career Services
Employers: How to Register
By attending this free event, employers have the opportunity to get the word out about their company/organization, network with dozens of talented students and walk away with handfuls of resumes from promising candidates. Learn more about how to register.
Employer registration is now open through 5 p.m. on Feb. 21, 2020. For more information, contact Juli Probasco-Sowers, Greenlee School internship coordinator, at email@example.com or 515-294-4342.