My communications internship with Kreg Tool Company

headshot of Erin Czyzewski
Erin Czyzewski, senior in public relations, interned at Kreg Tool Company in summer 2020.

By Erin Czyzewski, senior in public relations

This summer I interned at Kreg Tool Company. Kreg creates tools for woodworking projects. Since early March, Kreg has been thriving as people who are spending more free time at home have wanted to complete DIY projects using Kreg products. It was exciting working during this time with Kreg. As a communications intern, I could tell that the office’s atmosphere was positive and empowering. Due to Covid-19, my entire internship was remote. At first I was concerned about how I’d communicate with my supervisors and be assigned tasks while working remotely. But, Kreg had a tremendous remote working system that ensured quality communication and collaborative work.

My internship allowed me to partake in many different projects; primarily, my tasks fell under four categories: app content, blog stories, LinkedIn and event management.

The Kreg Tool app provides employees with company news and opportunities to get involved with the company. I would write posts daily for the news feed page of the app. This includes posts about company news, employee features and Covid-19 updates. It was important to provide essential safety information to employees both timely and efficiently. Also, I got to practice my graphic design skills — with every app posting, I had to create a thumbnail that would gain the attention of employees using the app. Kreg Tool is in the process of building a new campus. Every week, I would also create and post progress reports on the app for the employees to become familiar with the new campus.

For Kreg Tool’s blog, Keeping up with Kreg, I wrote multiple articles about company news. I interviewed employees and researched topics to write these articles. Topics included an introduction to the interns, new campus solar panels, social media influencers, and amenities provided at the new campus. I wrote these articles from a journalist’s perspective. It was great to continue the reporting and writing skills I’ve learned at Greenlee School.

A goal I had regarding the LinkedIn page was to increase engagement and amount of postings. I posted about twice a week. These posts included information about the intern program and the company’s actions that benefitted the employees. I wanted to show potential employees how great of a place Kreg Tool is. Engagement increased substantially, and the page received more followers and likes compared to months prior.

Kreg interns
Kreg summer interns participate in a weekly lunch-and-learn session where they got to try out Kreg products.

Because of Covid-19, Kreg Tool was not hosting any large-group meetings, but I used my event management minor to plan virtual and participation events. I collaborated with the Kreg Tool ESOP Committee to plan the communication and delivery of the ESOP stock price release and employee gift delivery. Another intern and I planned the entire internship program. This included weekly lunch-and-learns with the executive team, make-a-wish community service day, a building day with Kreg Tool products, and a celebration event for the end of the program. Lastly, I planned a scavenger hunt on the app. This four-week activity allowed employees to answer questions about Kreg Tool news for a chance to win prizes.

Greenlee has taught me skills that I used within my internship. Going into my summer internship, I felt prepared to take on my communications internship. Many of my classes offered real-world scenario assignments that made me feel confident completing work for my internship. I want to thank all Greenlee professors and advisers for preparing me for my career path and providing me with the Greenlee Internship Scholarship. This scholarship allowed me to focus on my internship and complete the 499A course with no stress. Juli Probasco-Sowers planned a fantastic 499A course. I can’t wait to use my Greenlee skills when applying to full-time positions this upcoming year.

Greenlee 499A internship scholarships support students with a primary major in advertising, journalism and mass communication or public relations who are completing their required 400-hour internships. The application is available each spring.