Some college and university merit scholarships are automatically awarded based on your academic credentials. Others, including most Greenlee School scholarships, require completing an application through Iowa State’s OneApp scholarship portal.
2024-25 Greenlee School Scholarships – Deadlines and Criteria
We see your ambition, your drive and your desire to make your mark, and we want to invest in your success. Because of the generosity of our donors, the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication awards over $200,000 in scholarships to its students annually.
To be eligible, students must be enrolled full-time with a primary major in advertising, journalism and mass communication or public relations at the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication for the semester in which the scholarship is issued. Students are considered full-time during the semester for which they are enrolled in ADVRT, JL MC or P R 499A: Professional Media Internship.
To be considered for Greenlee School scholarships, students must submit the General and LAS College portions of the OneApp including the five designated Greenlee School questions in the LAS application portion (including a link to your online portfolio).
The Greenlee School scholarship selection committee will use the information available in OneApp as of the deadlines listed below. Official notification of scholarship awards will be sent to students’ ISU emails.
After receiving notification of an award, you must respond within the indicated timeframe by providing an appropriate “thank you” letter for the donor. If you do not respond within the timeframe, your award will be forfeited and redistributed to another student.
A Greenlee scholarship may adjust your financial aid package for the semester. You may confirm the award on AccessPlus and contact the Office of Student Financial Aid or Accounts Receivable Offices with any questions.
Please contact Erin Wilgenbusch, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions and especially if there are any changes to your summer internship plans after you’ve submitted your application.
Iowa State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, marital status, disability or status as a U.S. veteran.
Deadlines for incoming first-year students:
- Sept. 20, 2023: OneApp open to all incoming students
- Feb. 1, 2024: FAFSA priority deadline
- Feb. 8, 2024 (11:59 p.m.): Deadline for Fall 2022 incoming freshmen scholarship applications
Deadlines for current undergraduate students and transfer students:
- Sept. 20, 2023: OneApp open to all current undergraduate and transfer students
- Feb. 29, 2024: FAFSA deadline for currently-enrolled and transfer students
- March 5, 2024 (11:59 p.m.): Deadline for Fall 2024 current and transfer student scholarship applications
- April 1, 2024 (11:59 p.m.): Deadline for Fall 2024 transfer student scholarship applications
499A internship scholarships info for current students:
Internship Scholarship deadline: May 3, 2024, 5 p.m.
Greenlee primary majors may apply to be considered for a 499A internship scholarship. That’s $1,000 (or more) toward your summer expenses during a 499A internship.
Students who wish to be considered for an internship scholarship from the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication must be pursuing an opportunity they have discussed with their faculty mentor to fulfill the requirements for ADVRT/JL MC/P R 499A.
Please apply through OneApp, Iowa State University’s scholarship portal. As a reminder, ALL steps MUST BE COMPLETED to be considered for a Greenlee School 499 Internship Scholarship.
- If you have already completed the OneApp for the 2024-2025 school year, simply log back into OneApp and choose: Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication Internship Scholarships. You may update your general application responses if you want to, but it’s not required.
- If you have not applied for scholarships in OneApp this year, you will need to fill out the General portion of the OneApp to be considered for an internship scholarship.
- You DO NOT need to complete the LAS portion of the OneApp to be considered for internship scholarships. You must be a primary major in Advertising, Journalism and Mass Communication, or Public Relations to qualify for an internship scholarship through the Greenlee School.
- You are required to include your internship employer and job title/description in the application.
- You must complete a 300-400 word essay that describes the impact this scholarship will have on your career goals. You will be assessed on both the content and quality of writing. The essay is included as part of the OneApp scholarship form.
- You will also need to include a link to your online portfolio.
The 499A internship scholarship recipients will be announced mid-May 2024.
Additional 499A scholarship criteria:
- After receiving notification of an award, you must respond within FIVE days by providing an appropriate “thank you” letter for the donor. This letter can be emailed to Kaylee Phillips Wellik (email@example.com). If you do not respond within FIVE days, your award will be forfeited and redistributed to another student.
- If you don’t register for ADVRT/JL MC/P R 499A during the award period, your scholarship will be revoked and must be refunded. A change in intent also includes a change of primary major to one outside of the Greenlee School, dropping below full-time or leaving Iowa State mid-semester. If you have concerns about losing your scholarship, visit with an academic advisor before you make changes to your major or class schedule.
- If selected to receive a scholarship, the recipient agrees to send photos and a blog or short essay about their summer internship experience to be shared on the Greenlee School website.
Iowa State University & LAS Scholarships
Iowa State University’s OneApp scholarship portal allows incoming, current and transfer students to submit scholarship applications in one system. The Office of Student Financial Aid, academic colleges and departments and other campus units will use the information available in OneApp to select scholarship recipients.
OneApp will open Sept. 20, 2023, for the awarding of 2024-25 scholarships. Deadlines will vary depending upon the scholarship or opportunity. Students are encouraged to log in to OneApp early and often to ensure deadlines are met.
Opportunities outside of OneApp
There will be some university scholarships not using OneApp to award 2024-25 scholarships. Go to the additional ISU scholarships page to view timelines and criteria for other scholarships available at Iowa State.
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences offers special scholarships for undergraduate research, study abroad and unpaid internships. These special awards and funding opportunities have specific forms to complete. Go to the LAS scholarships page to see the timelines and criteria for these awards.
More scholarships info
The Hugh S. Sidey Experience in Political Journalism
The Hugh S. Sidey Scholarship supports students at the Greenlee School and is made possible by the White House Historical Association and Mr. David M. Rubenstein.
Nationally Competitive Awards
The University Honors Program provides high-achieving undergraduate and graduate students with information and guidance on preparing for competitive, national- and international-level fellowship and scholarship opportunities.
It also maintains a directory of Nationally Competitive Awards in the following categories: STEM-Based; Graduate School Funding; Study/Research/Language Abroad; Public Service & Foreign Affairs; Summer, GAP & Experiential Programs; and Awards for Multicultural Students.
It’s worth noting most application processes require you to plan at least six months in advance. We encourage you to explore the opportunities focusing first on eligibility requirements and next on scholar profiles and details of the award to evaluate the feasibility of your candidacy.
External Scholarship Opportunities
The Greenlee School maintains a list of external scholarship opportunities that may be of interest to advertising, journalism and mass communication and public relations majors. If you’d like to submit a scholarship for inclusion on the list, email firstname.lastname@example.org.