Greenlee COVID-19 Internship Policy for Spring/Summer 2020
The Greenlee School required internship (499A) is more than a course—it is an experience that prepares you to be more competitive for securing your next position in media and communication. Yet we understand COVID-19 has created a unique situation with regard to securing and completing internships, and we are committed to working with students to help them continue making progress toward graduation.
For students who (a) are or were working in their approved internship during the spring or summer semesters of 2020 or (b) are planning to graduate in spring, summer or fall 2020 or spring 2021, we are offering several options. Students should consult with their advisers as they consider what is best for their situation. (Last updated May 15, 2020.)
Internships are an integral part of your education. They allow you to refine and expand the knowledge and skills you gain in and out of the classroom. As a Greenlee major, you are required to complete a 400-hour professional internship as your capstone course through ADVRT/JL MC/ P R 499A.
While you are responsible for securing your own internship at the professional outlet of your choice, the Greenlee School is committed to your success and provides many resources to help you land your dream experience.
If your schedule allows, you may complete additional internships beyond the 499A required internship to gain professional experience as a student. If you desire to earn academic credit for additional internships, there are a couple options you may explore with your faculty adviser:
- ADVRT/JL MC/ P R 499B is an optional course that allows a Greenlee major to earn 1 to 3 credits based on the number of hours worked at an internship in the student’s specialization. Contact your faculty adviser to find out if your internship qualifies. Note: This course is not a replacement for 499A and is not tracked through the Internship Web System (IWS).
- Contact LAS Career Services to explore other options for obtaining academic credit for the internship. Note: You cannot use your ADVRT/JL MC/ P R 499A or 499B internship to obtain academic credit from any other department at Iowa State University.
- 499A Required Internship
- 499A Syllabus
- Finding an Internship
- Internship Funding
- Jump-Start Internship and Networking Fair
- Meredith Apprentice Program
- Dublin Internship Program
- Resources for Employers