The Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication encourages Greenlee students to submit their best published work for consideration in the 2021 Hearst Journalism Awards competition.
The program features two photojournalism, five writing, one audio, two television, and four multimedia competitions – with championship finals in all divisions.
As a participating school, Greenlee selects the two entrants per competition who are eligible to enter. The competition is open to undergraduate journalism majors. An exception to the journalism major rule is made for students entering the photojournalism competitions. Submissions must have been disseminated in professional or student media while the student was an undergraduate.
Build your resume, win scholarships
This prestigious competition serves as a great way for students to build their resumes through monthly competitions. Additionally, students have the opportunity to earn scholarships if they place in the top five in one of the monthly competitions or if they are finalists in the championship round. The 61st annual program is offering up to $700,000 in awards.
In addition to receiving scholarship money, the top finalists in the monthly competitions have the opportunity to continue competing in semi-final rounds. Finalists are then selected to compete in person at the national championships in June.
How can students apply?
Review your best published work, consulting the Hearst Journalism Awards Program entry guidelines for each competition.
Plan ahead for the 2020-21 competitions. Submissions are due to Deni Chamberlin, associate professor in the Greenlee School, by noon on the following dates:
- Feature Writing: Oct. 26
- Photo I – News and Features: Oct. 30
- Television I – Features: Nov. 6
- Multimedia I – Narrative Video Storytelling: Nov. 13
- Explanatory Reporting (NEW): Nov. 23
- Audio – News and Features: Jan. 22
- Multimedia II – Innovative Storytelling and Audience Engagement: Jan. 22
- Sports Writing: Jan. 22
- Photo II: Picture Story/Series: Jan. 29
- Television II – News: Feb. 12
- Multimedia III – Digital News or Enterprise Story – Individual: Feb. 26
- Personality/Profile Writing: Feb. 26
- Multimedia IV – Digital News or Enterprise Story – Team: April 9
- Investigative Reporting (NEW): April 2
Email your published work to Deni Chamberlin at email@example.com before the deadlines stated above. The Greenlee School may select up to two entrants’ work to compete in any of the monthly competitions.