Calling all interns! The Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication seeks student perspectives on internship experiences as it hosts its second annual Greenlee Summer Intern Blogging Contest.
Whether you’re doing an official 499A internship, testing the internship waters for the first time or embarking on your second, third or fourth internship, all current Greenlee majors who are doing summer 2017 internships related to advertising, journalism and mass communication or public relations are invited to participate.
The competition will be conducted in two rounds with submissions accepted May 15 through June 29 for Round 1 and June 30 through August 3 for Round 2. In each round, students’ blog posts will be selected as finalists from the pool of submissions based on quality of writing and content. The finalists’ posts will be published on the Greenlee website. The blog post finalist who receives the most votes during each round’s polling period will be declared the winner and will receive a $50 e-gift card to Amazon. Finalists are encouraged to share their posts on social media to seek votes from friends and family members. See complete rules and requirements below.
- You must be a current Greenlee major.
- You must be doing a summer 2017 internship related to advertising, journalism and mass communication or public relations.
- Entrants may only submit one post per round. Entrants may submit blog posts in both rounds, but the material and content of each post must be different. Round 1 finalists—excluding the Round 1 winner—may participate in Round 2.
- Submitting content for the competition gives the Greenlee School the right to edit and use the materials publicly.
- All posts are subject to the Greenlee staff’s discretion. Finalists will be selected based on content and quality of writing. Only blog posts deemed “finalists” by the Greenlee School will be published online and considered eligible to win the prize.
- Posts must be 500-600 and include a title.
- Each post must include your name, company and position title.
- Submissions must include a high-resolution photo (at least 5×7 inches at 300 dpi) related to your blogging topic and a cutline. Attach the jpg image to the email, rather than embedding it into the post.
- Examples of potential blog topics:
- How you landed your internship
- Overview of day-to-day life at your internship
- New things you’ve learned on the job
- What you expected your internship to be like compared to how it really is
- What you wish you’d known going into your internship
- Advice you would give other students who are planning to do an internship
- The winner of each round will receive a $50 Amazon e-gift card sent to them via email.
- Email your blog post and visuals to email@example.com. Write “Blog Competition” in the subject line.
- Posts will be accepted throughout the summer from May 15 to Aug. 3. The contest will be completed in two rounds. Blog posts selected as “finalists” for each round will be published on Greenlee’s website (greenlee.iastate.edu) and shared on its social media channels the week polling begins.
- Voting will take place through a Qualtrics poll that lists all the finalists. A link to the poll will be included in each finalists’ blog post, so you can easily share your blog post on social media and ask for votes. The post with the most votes at the end of the polling period will be declared the winner of that round.
- Round 1 Deadlines:
- Submissions accepted: May 15-June 29 by 5 p.m.
- Polling open: July 6-13
- Winner declared: July 14
- Round 2 Deadlines:
- Submissions accepted: June 30-Aug. 3 by 5 p.m.
- Polling open: Aug. 10-17
- Winner declared: Aug. 18