Poynter Institute Exam (PIE)
Passing the Poynter Institute Exam (known in Greenlee as PIE) is a prerequisite for JL MC 201. The exam is offered as part of an online course, Iowa State University Language Primer Course Pack (2017), offered through Poynter’s News University. Students must receive a score of 78 or above to pass the PIE.
Although you can work through the course and the practice drills from any browser, you must take the exam in Hamilton Hall during a testing day for your score to count. You can only take the exam once per testing date.
Fall 2017 Testing Dates:
- Friday, Sept. 22
- Friday, Oct. 6
- Friday, Oct. 20
- Friday, Nov. 3
- Friday, Dec. 1
- Create an account at www.newsu.org. Use your Iowa State email address to register. Students who are not registered through www.newsu.org will not be able to complete the final exam.
- Log into your account, and search for “Iowa State” in the “search for courses” bar.
- Enroll in Iowa State University Language Primer Course Pack (2017). Be prepared with a credit or debit card to pay the $14.95 fee.
- Work through the course and related drills at your own pace. DO NOT take the final exam outside of Hamilton Hall. Tests must be taken in Hamilton Hall on a testing day (see below for dates and locations). Tests taken online outside of the Hamilton Hall will not count and you will have to pay $14.95 to retake the test.
- Students must receive a 78% on the exam to be qualified for JL MC 201 in Spring 2018. Students may take the exam once each day it is offered in the fall semester. Students must come to campus to take the exam.
- You are NOT allowed to use any notes for the exam.
The final exam will begin in Hamilton 10A or 10B on the hour between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. on the testing dates. Students should check in with the proctor outside of Hamilton 10A or 10B ten minutes before the test is scheduled to begin.
All questions should be directed to Kelsie Poe at email@example.com or 101 Hamilton Hall.