Jairus Davis to speak at Spring 2024 Futures Forum

CATEGORIES: Alumni, Events, In the News, News
Jairus Davis holds video camera on sidelines.
Jairus Davis is the Spring 2024 Futures Forum speaker. Submitted photo.

Videographer and multimedia storyteller, Jairus Davis, will speak about video production at the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication’s 2024 Futures Forum at 2 p.m. on Thursday, April 25, in the Memorial Union’s Pioneer Room (3560).

Davis graduated from Iowa State University in 2014 with a degree in journalism and mass communication with an emphasis in video production and currently works as a multimedia storyteller with the University of Minnesota’s College of Education and Human Development.

In addition, he works as a freelance camera operator for the Minnesota Timberwolves/Lynx, Minnesota Twins and Minnesota United for their video board operations. He is also a cinematographer with NFL Films and worked on Netflix’s “Quarterback” and “Hard Knocks.”

“My journey in video production began my sophomore year in college when I took a job as a PA at a local Ames production house called Championship Productions,” Davis said. “Working there as a PA, piece by piece, I learned the ins and outs of what it takes to be a videographer, specifically in sports.”

From there, Davis said he continued to learn as much as he could and networked with as many folks in the industry to help build the path to his next stepping stone: Daktronics at Iowa State (now known as Cyclones.TV). He worked there as a grip and then worked his way up to becoming a camera operator.

“The skills I learned being a camera operator at Daktronics transferred with me when I moved to Boston,” he said. “I used those skills I learned and continued to grow there, and the network I built there helped me get my foot in the door with what I do now as a cinematographer with NFL Films.”

Davis currently serves on the Greenlee School Advisory Council.

The Futures Forum is an annual event hosted by the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication and is sponsored by William F. and Linda Z. Tubbs. It connects industry leaders in advertising, journalism and mass communication and public relations with Iowa State University students.

A thirty-minute question-and-answer session will follow Davis’ presentation, which is free and open to the public.

The event will be livestreamed via YouTube and available to the public.