Drumroll please…

CATEGORIES: Student Perspective

I began my journey from Charter Oak, Iowa, to Indianapolis, Indiana, on Saturday, May 28. After nine hours of driving with Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons blasting out my speakers I arrived at the apartment anxious to meet my roommates, and fellow interns, Andrea, Katie, and Kayla. I felt extremely fortunate to be one of the 14 interns chosen by Drum Corps International (DCI) for the summer.

The first day of my internship was the following Tuesday. I arrived at the DCI office excited and a little nervous. A warm welcome from all of the DCI staff, which included balloons, my name and school logo displayed on the wall, and a meet and mingle lunch soon had me feeling at ease. I spent the rest of the day becoming familiar with DCI and getting to know individuals from the various departments. The whole day was exciting and included an intern group picture with the trophy and finding my desk!

DCI arranged a private tour of Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the DCI World Championships and the Indianapolis Colts, for the second day. I saw the whole stadium including areas which are not usually open to the public. The coolest parts of the tour were seeing the press box where I will be working, hanging out in the player’s locker room, and running out of the tunnel with my DCI intern team to huddle on the 50-yard line!

DCI summer interns pose for a group photo. Photo courtesy of Lauren Wilcox

My internship is with the communications department and I am confident it will be a hands-on experience. I have already become familiar with DCI’s editing software and used some of the skills I learned from the Greenlee School. My Photoshop, writing, and editing skills were used to contribute to the DCI website. I contributed to the weekly online corps news and announcements by researching what was new with the corps, writing a brief synopsis of their updates, and sharing their pictures and videos. Below you will find the link to DCI’s corps news and announcements from Friday, June 3.

My first week as a DCI intern is in the books! I am looking forward to a summer of contributing to and learning from the DCI communications department. I can’t wait to see what next week brings!