My summer internship experience at a full-service brand agency

headshot of Paige Kinney
Page Kinney, senior in public relations, interned at Bluespace Creative in summer 2020.

By Page Kinney, senior in public relations

This summer, I had the opportunity to intern at Bluespace Creative in Denison, Iowa. Bluespace is a full-service brand agency that has a variety of clients in different industries. Working for Bluespace was one of the best experiences I have had. Each day was something different, and it made working full-time more enjoyable.

In many of my classes, my professors have talked about what it is like to work at agencies so I was very excited about my internship so I could experience it myself. It did not disappoint. I was very thankful for this internship because it showed me that working in an agency setting is truly what I want to do. I loved being a part of a team and throwing ideas around. Also, getting the opportunity to work with various clients was so nice because every day I was doing something different.

One of the best parts about working in an agency is the team meetings. My colleagues would bring in the key individuals from the client’s team who specialized in different areas. Everyone would talk about the client and other strategies that could be deployed to help the client reach their goals. The team at Bluespace Creative was incredible. They would always answer my questions and truly helped me advance and learn. It was fun to collaborate with them on projects and bounce ideas around in client strategy meetings.

This summer, I got to work on writing media releases for clients, developing social media strategy, researching article topics and website design, and writing copy for advertisements and websites. My favorite project to work on was writing copy for a vet supply company because it pushed me outside my comfort zone and forced me to think. I did a lot of research from different brands to ensure I was using the proper language and promoting the correct projects.

Last spring, I applied for Greenlee’s 499A internship scholarship because my adviser told me too.  I was not planning on applying for it because I did not think I would even get one. I am so thankful that I was told to apply and that I did. This scholarship was so helpful this summer because it allowed me to focus on my internship and work instead of worrying how I would pay tuition for the credits. I highly recommend that everyone applies, even if you think you won’t get anything.

Editor’s note: Greenlee 499A internship scholarships support students who have a primary major in advertising, journalism and mass communication or public relations and are completing their required 400-hour internships. The application is available each spring.