Q&A with Ethan Dunn, graduating senior in journalism and mass communication

CATEGORIES: Student Perspective
Ethan Dunn, '20 Journalism and Mass Communication.

Name: Ethan Dunn

Year: graduating senior (fall 2020)

Major: journalism and mass communication

Minor: political science

Hometown: Grimes, Iowa

If you could sum up your LAS experience in one word, what word would you choose?
Journey, because it really is a long winding path. But it is worth taking the journey to get to the end.

What is your favorite LAS memory?
My favorite LAS memory is really experimental classes in general. I took two of them during undergrad, one journalism and one Latino studies course. They were a couple of my favorite classes I took because of how hands-on and unique they were.

What have you accomplished during your time in LAS that you are most proud of?
I am most proud of making the dean’s list every semester. This was something that took a lot of effort and a lot of long hours in the library, but it is something I am very proud of.

What are your future plans?
My future plans include working this spring at the State Capitol as a legislative clerk. After that, I plan on attending law school at a school yet to be decided.

How did LAS prepare you for your life after graduation?
LAS prepared me well for life after graduation in many ways. The biggest way is it helped me learn to adapt. I was often put in overwhelming and difficult situations and I feel like it has prepared me for life after college.

What advice do you have for a future LAS student?
My advice for a future LAS student is to just try as many things as you can and get out of your comfort zone. I came into school thinking I knew exactly what I wanted to do after college and I ended up nowhere close. I wouldn’t have learned so much about myself if I hadn’t pushed myself out of my comfort zone.

Editor’s note: Ethan Dunn was one of the fall 2020 graduating seniors highlighted on the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences social media accounts.