Calling summer interns! Write a blog post about your summer internship experience to compete for a $50 Amazon e-gift card in the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication’s third annual summer intern blogging competition.
Whether you’re doing an official 499A internship, testing the internship waters for the first time or embarking on your second, third or fourth internship, all current Greenlee majors doing summer 2018 internships related to advertising, journalism and mass communication or public relations are invited to participate.
The competition will be conducted in two rounds. If your blog post is deemed a finalist based on quality of writing and content, it will be published on the Greenlee School’s [student experience blog](https://wp.las.iastate.edu/greenlee-v2/experience/). Then it’s up to you to get the word out! The blog post that receives the most votes during each round’s polling period will be declared the winner of the round and will receive a $50 Amazon e-gift card.
See complete rules and requirements below.
- You must be a current Greenlee major.
- You must be doing a summer 2018 internship related to advertising, journalism and mass communication or public relations. It does not have to be an internship you are completing for 499A.
- Entrants may only submit one post per round. Entrants may submit blog posts in both rounds, but the material and content of each post must be different. Round 1 finalists—excluding the Round 1 prize winner—may participate in Round 2.
- Submitting content for the competition gives the Greenlee School the right to edit and use the materials publicly.
- All posts are subject to the Greenlee staff’s discretion. Finalists will be selected based on content and quality of writing and will be notified by email. Only blog posts deemed “finalists” by the Greenlee School will be published online and considered eligible to win the prize.
- Posts will be accepted throughout the summer from June 1 to Aug. 4.
- The competition will be completed in two rounds. Blog posts selected as “finalists” for each round will be published on Greenlee’s [student experience blog](https://wp.las.iastate.edu/greenlee-v2/experience/) and shared on Greenlee social media channels the week polling begins. Finalists will be notified via email.
- Voting will take place through a Qualtrics poll that lists all the finalists in each round. A link to the poll will be included in each finalists’ blog post, so you can easily share your blog post on social media and ask for votes. The post with the most votes at the end of the polling period will be declared the winner of that round.
- Round 1 Deadlines:
- Submissions accepted: June 1-July 3 by 11:59 p.m.
- Polling open: July 9-16
- Winner declared: July 17
- Round 2 Deadlines:
- Submissions accepted: July 4-Aug. 4 by 11:59 p.m.
- Polling open: Aug. 8-15
- Winner declared: Aug. 16
- The winner of each round will be notified via email and will receive a $50 Amazon e-gift card code via email.
- Posts must be 500-600 words and include a title.
- Each post must include your name, company/organization and position title.
- Submissions must include at least one high-resolution photo (at least 5×7 inches at 300 dpi) related to your blogging topic and a cutline. Horizontal images are preferred. Attach the jpg image to the email or include a shared download link from Cybox, rather than embedding it into the post.
- Email your blog post and visuals to email@example.com. Write “Blog Competition” in the subject line.
Examples of potential blog topics:
- How you landed your internship
- Overview of day-to-day life at your internship
- New things you’ve learned on the job
- What you expected your internship to be like compared to how it really is
- What you wish you’d known going into your internship
- Advice you would give other students who are planning to do an internship